An innovative approach to coordinated care and coaching
Effective total population health management requires coordinated and integrated healthcare management services that are personalized, engaging, and accessible to every individual. The Rite Aid Health Alliance is an innovative program that delivers community-based and convenient health management services through local Rite Aid pharmacists and Care Coaches.
The model is a first in the industry. It leverages the expertise of community pharmacists and integrates specially trained in-store Care Coaches to provide patients with easily accessible lifestyle coaching and medication management services that support, but do not compete with, local physicians.
Services and features include:
- Ongoing one-on-one in-store coaching sessions with patients that support health management and drive healthy behavior change
- Care Coaches work with patients to meet physician-identified health and wellness goals, such as smoking cessation, disease education, and weight loss
- Pharmacists conduct medication reviews to improve compliance and screen for dangerous drug interactions
The Rite Aid Health Alliance aims to improve the quality of care and clinical outcomes, as well as reducing the total cost of care by focusing on the following goals:
- Enabling a higher quality of life by motivating patients to improve lifestyle behaviors
- Increasing medication adherence by providing critical information on how and why the medication should be used and by helping to remove barriers to adherence
- Improving health literacy and patient engagement with frequent and personalized interactions
- Reducing emergency room utilization by increasing access to convenient care
- Lowering hospital admissions by improving health status and chronic care management
The Rite Aid Health Alliance serves adult patients who have chronic conditions, such as congestive heart failure, COPD, diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, or depression (when co-morbid with other chronic conditions the program supports).